Monday, May 31, 2010

Words of Encouragement


What do I have to offer?
Jeremiah 1:5-8 (The Message)

5"Before I shaped you in the womb, I knew all about you. Before you saw the light of day, I had holy plans for you: A prophet to the nations—that's what I had in mind for you."

6But I said, "Hold it, Master God! Look at me. I don't know anything. I'm only a boy!"

7-8God told me, "Don't say, 'I'm only a boy.' I'll tell you where to go and you'll go there. I'll tell you what to say and you'll say it. Don't be afraid of a soul. I'll be right there, looking after you." God's Decree.

We can read this scripture and see how it applies to Jeremiah, but can I tell you these same words apply to you and I? Before we were born, God already knew what his plan for us was. It is the same thing David said in the 139 Psalm.  God has shaped and molded each of us and he has a divine plan for all his creation.
 
The tragedy is we miss accepting his calling upon our lives. Jeremiah had an excuse. He said, I'm just a boy. I'm too young, I don't know enough, one excuse after another. It is not just Jeremiah, but we do the same. We are overwhelmed with the idea that God would want to use us, so we make excuses why we could not be called by God. We say, but I'm a woman, or I don't have enough education, I don't know enough, and that's the way the excuses go.
 
What would God's answer be to us? It is the same as the one he gave to Jeremiah. Do not tell him what you do not have or what you cannot do. He tells us that he will give us what we should speak and he will strengthen us for the journey that he is calling us to. What is he calling you to do? His call for you may not be to preach, but maybe it is. His call for you is what he has decided for your life and to find out what that is, we must go to God and ask him to show us.
 
When he does we cannot say, what do I have to offer? God is not looking at us for our skills or abilities because what we need he will give us. He is looking at us to offer ourselves. We all have that to offer. I pray that this month of June we really seek God closely to find out what his direction is for us.
 
Ask God to show you the answer to these questions, but you must become quiet to hear what he has to say.
 
1. What is your mission or call for my life?
2. What things am I holding onto that are hindering me from moving forward into what you have for me to do?
3. Help me to see those things that I am afraid of and then give me the strength to overcome them.
 
Lord: I thank you for desiring to have me as a part of your plan and as part of the family of God. Lord help me to see my part in the mission. I know I ask the question of what do I have to offer, but really all you desire is me. Help me to release myself into your hands so that I can be what you desire. Help me to hold onto the promise that you gave to Jeremiah that you would be with me and help me every step of the way. Today, help me to move forward so that I can make an impact for Christ, amen!

No comments: