Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Week in Review

Being Thankful

Ephesians 5:20 “Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;”

What does it mean to be thankful? The dictionary defines it as, “being aware and appreciative of a benefit.” We tend to be thankful for our families, for our jobs, our money in the bank, our friendships and so many other things. We tend to be thankful for the blessings we have. And that is good, but are we as thankful when we don’t see these outward blessings?



Do we have a thankful attitude when things are not going as we wish? Being thankful in All things and in All seasons, sets the believer apart from the rest of the world. The believer should be aware of the benefit of the relationship we have with God and willing show our gratitude and appreciation, because Jesus died to give us access to his Fathers provisions. The reason why we should have an attitude of thankfulness is we have fellowship with God, who is the ultimate giver of all the benefits and blessings that we possess. How then are we thankful when we are in a state of lack?



We can be thankful because the God that is with us when we have a good job is the same God that is with us when we don’t have a job at all. The God that is with us when we have plenty money, is the same God that is with us when we are in lack. When we have good relationships and things are going well, God is there. When are relationships are not so good and we are in a state of want, God is there. When we are well in our body, God is there, and he is there when we are ailing. That is because God is the same today, yesterday and forever more. He does not change because of our circumstances. He never changes.



As the people of God we have so much more to be thankful for than the outward things we see, the cars, the money, and the stuff. We can show our gratitude for the spiritual benefits that we receive when we walk with the Lord. There is something that is most important for us to remember, when we begin to show forth our thanks and praise, it becomes the key, if you will that opens up the door to our provisions. When I am worried and cannot find rest, I can begin to thank God for being my way maker. I can thank him for being the light for my dark path, I can thank him for his abundant wisdom and understanding, I can thank him for being my high tower that sees far beyond what I can even image and as I begin to thank him, my attitude of thanksgiving opens up the door to his peace.



The peace that only he can give, the peace that passes all understanding. If I am filled with sorrow, I can thank him for his comfort, I can thank him for being my shelter in the storms of life that come against me. And as I begin to thank him, my thanksgiving opens up the door to his provision of joy. That joy that flows like a river in my soul, that joy, that is unspeakable and full of glory.

I simply come to remind you that while we should be thankful for the material things that God blesses us with, we have so much more to be thankful for as children of God. We have access to the abundance of his provisions. As his children he calls us to come to him. We enter his gates with praise, which simply is another way of saying thanksgiving. Let us give thanks always, and for all things. When I have much I will thank you, and when I have nothing I will praise you ever more.

No comments: