Monday, May 5, 2008

Words of Encouragement



The LORD gave them rest on every side, just as he had sworn to their forefathers. Not one of their enemies withstood them; the LORD handed all their enemies over to them. Not one of all the LORD's good promises to the house of Israel failed; every one was fulfilled. - Joshua 21:44-45
God's Promises. He Fulfills. I saw a wonderful sight last Friday. I was in the grocery store and it began to storm. As quickly as the rains came, they went. When my husband and I went out of the store we saw the most wonderful sight, a rainbow. It is hard to describe. The rainbow filled the sky. It was a perfect arch. It was vibrant with colors and you could clearly see it lite in the dark sky. Then right above it was a second rainbow. People stopped to take pictures with their cell phones, but I couldn't move as I tried to capture in my mind's eye the beauty I was looking at.
As I saw it several things crossed my mind. First people were saying they were going to get the gold at the end of the rainbow, but I thought about the promises of God. God had promises he would not destroy the world again with water and this was a sign of his promise. God keeps his promises even when we don't remember what they were. Secondly, the second rainbow simply said to me, I confirm what I promise. IT was like the confirmation of his promise. Because who can confirm God other than himself?
That brings us to today's scripture. God made a promise to the people of God and he was fulfilling that promise even to the generations that came after. The scripture says all the promises God made were fulfilled.
That is something for us to rejoice in. Do you know we are living some of us off of the fulfillment of promises God made to others? The prayers your parents made for you many years ago, God is fulfilling right now. Or prayers you prayed many years ago, God is now fulfilling.
Let us rejoice today in knowing God is a promise keeper. I pray for us today that we take courage in knowing that God will keep all his promises. Not one will be lost. He will continue to keep promises because he is a faithful God.

No comments: