Monday, April 7, 2008

Someone You Should Know!



· What do you know about ministering and teaching young women?
I have been teaching teenagers now for over eighteen years in the church. I was mentoring young girls even before I started teaching in the formal setting of the church. I started with my own nieces by beginning a Bible study for them to help them find answers to life’s questions. This is something I feel God has called me to do and I enjoy making a difference to those I touch.

· Why/When/How did you start writing?
I have been writing for as long as I can remember. Writing started for me as a child to help me through the difficulties in my own life. I found a place of refuge in my writing. I felt I could give my feelings a voice that would not die. Over the years my writing has changed, because God has developed my understanding and my abilities.

· What is your typical day like?
I am a busy mother. I take my girls to school, if my husband does not handle that job. I then sit down each morning to prepare my Words of Encouragement, which is a daily word from the Bible distributed via e-mail for those that are working on jobs. I am a student, so I am either reading assignments or preparing papers. In between that time, I exercise, prepare meals, wash clothes and do the other things that moms do. No matter how busy my day gets, however, I still like to take time to pray, read my word and hear what God has to say to me.

· How many books have you written and where do you get your ideas?
I have written three books and a series of books for younger children, however only Fearfully and Wonderfully Made is the first book in print as of January 2008. I am beginning the production of my second book, Broken China Makes a Beautiful Mosaic and hope that will be available in 2008 as well. I have produced a few plays for the Langley Avenue Church of God where I attend. I get my ideas from life itself. I think sometimes I see things differently than others. I can look at a tree uprooted by a storm and see a message about humbleness. The tree tried to stand strong against the storm and because it did not bend, or humble itself it was uprooted. So I find my ideas everywhere, isn’t God everywhere?

· How do you research your books?
Once I have an idea about something I look to see what information I need. In Fearfully and Wonderfully Made I needed statistics so I looked for survey companies that did research on my subject matter. If it is a story about the word of God, I take the time to study so that I am accurate in what I say or write.

· Why do you write Christian books?
I believe this is a gift that God has given me so I want to give it completely back to him. The very first book I began to write many years ago was not a Christian book. As I was writing that book, I began to feel a sense that this was not what I should be doing. When I stopped and asked God, what are you trying to tell me? This question came to mind, “Would this be something you are proud to put your name on as a Christian?” I had to say no, so I hit the delete button even though I had almost finished that novel. I have never looked back.

· How long did it take you to write this book?
This book was written over a thirteen week period of time because it was originally written as a Sunday school lesson. The process of changing it from a lesson to a book took a few months.

· Aren't all Christian books the same?
I don’t believe so. Even if different writers are writing about the same subjects, God has a way of allowing each one to bring something new and different. It’s the same with preaching. Several people can preach the same scripture and you can get something different from each one.
Return next week to read more of this interview.

No comments: