Monday, March 31, 2008

Words of Encouragement

The word of the LORD came to me, saying, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." "Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child." But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD. Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth. See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant." - Jeremiah 1:4-10

The Message. The Prophet Jeremiah – God Calls. This is the calling of the prophet Jeremiah. The Lord is speaking to Jeremiah and reassuring him that he was formed in his mother’s womb with a purpose. That purpose was for him to be a prophet to the nations. Jeremiah’s response isn’t much different that others (such as Moses) when called for such an awesome task.

His response is, But God I cannot speak I am only a child. Maybe our response isn’t the same as Jeremiah, but we can relate. Maybe your response to God when he spoke his purpose to you was, I can’t do that, or will people listen to me, or even I don’t know enough, I’m not good enough. Whatever the excuse is, God’s answer to us is the same as it was to Jeremiah.

God told Jeremiah, do not say you are a child, but you must go and speak everything I command you to say. Do not be afraid to speak the words I give you for I will rescue you. In other words, I will be with you as you speak the words I give you to speak.

Then God reached out and touched Jeremiah’s lips and said, I now put my words into your mouth, so go forth and do as I have commanded. God’s word comes through us to uproot and tear down those attitudes, behaviors and beliefs that would set themselves up above God. God’s word also comes to build up and to plant, to build up his people for the fight ahead and to plant the good seed that will take root and bring forth fruit.

Today, God is calling. He is calling for his people to step forth and walk in the truth as he sets forth. He is calling his people to pick up their armor and begin to run this race, his way. I pray for us today that we allow the truth of God’s word to set us free from the sins that so easily besets. God has a message for us, are we listening?

No comments: