Monday, March 3, 2008

Someone You Should Know!





The children are receiving their instruction for the recording.






I had the opportunity to ask Michelle some questions about her music and we will share them this month. Let's get started!

Jewel: Michelle, how did you come up with the different songs and what period of time did this happen?


Michelle: I came up with those songs in a 3-5 year period of time. Some stretched back from when I worked as a sixth grade teacher. "I'll Acknowledge You", was in 2002-03 school year. The others have been throughout the last few years. Many through a lot of tests and trials.


I remember writing "Singin' Praises to Your Name" based on Psalms 92 because at the time, someone or something was getting on my nerves. The Lord told me to start counting my blessings and quit complaing about the minor stuff...and then two months afterwards...he took my mom home to be with Him. That's when he told me to add 1 Thessalanians 5:18 "In everything give thanks"...no matter what happens there's always an element to thank God for even in the midst of the most treacherous of circumstances.



Minister Mario Jenkins leading "I'll Be Still".

The same is true for "I'll Be Still". I was wrestling with the future of my marriage, my son, finances--asking "shoud I do this or that" and the Lord was saying (in my own lingo--'chill & be still Michelle'--cux your little pint-sized peanut thoughts can't compare to my great mind).

"Celebrate" (which is also the video clip from 2/29, take a listen) was from when I was hired for a job at a college where God graced His unmerited favor in my life. Again, I was jut thinking of all His benefits and reflecting on His faithfulness...I could go on and on, but you get the picture.


Jewel: As you listen to the words of her songs you hear the Word of God brought to life through the music and it does something to encourage you when you facing your situations. Michelle uses the words of scripture in her songs in a fresh way. She allowed many of the youth to sing either solo's or to be a part of the song. This was also something great for them as well.

Michelle is a generous writer. Even though these are her songs, she is open to God to allow others to add to the creation . On the song, "I'll Be Still" the lead singer, Mario Jenkins also played a part by adding an additional line in the song. This song has become one of my favorites. We all can understand what Michelle mentioned about us wondering what to do in the midst of our own sitations. We need a reminder to "chill and be still" because God's ways are far above our understanding.

We will continue this interview with Michelle, so come back and read what else she as to say about her music.

No comments: